executive director - people & corporate services, electricidade de moçambiqueInto Africa Recruitment
Our client, Electricity of Mozambique EDM was established on 27 August 1977 as a state owned national power utility responsible for generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity on behalf of the Government of Mozambique. EDM was also given the responsibility to plan, manage, and execute the necessary project activities as well as to own and operate generation, transmission and distribution assets. This is in order to ensure reliable supply of electricity with good quality while preserving the environment.
EDM is now transforming itself through a process of profound and radical change aimed at directing the organization towards an entirely new and higher level of efficiency and effectiveness. They are laying the foundation for meaningfully and deliberately striving towards their ultimate ambition, which is to make Mozambique an energy hub in Southern Africa, and to transform EDM into a national and regional reference. EDM aims to continuously provide uninterrupted electricity to citizens and residents of Mozambique individuals, communities, corporations, etc. and to achieve universal access to energy by 2030. This is already the norm in most developed countries of the world. There is therefore no reason why Mozambique should subscribe to any lower standards. Ultimately, the expected human development through inclusion and better standards of living, will be available across all parts of Mozambique.
We have been contracted to fill the position of Executive Director, People and Corporate Services. The Board of EDM is largely executive. In effect, most members of the Board are also directly responsible for heading and managing key portfolios. The Executive Director for People and Corporate Services provides leadership and direction in the key activities of Human Resources, Information Technology, General Services, and the Knowledge Center. These four activity areas i.e. Human Resources, Information Technology, General Services, and the Knowledge Center constitute directorates, but other competences might be added as required. The Executive Director, People and Corporate Services has four direct reports. Each of these direct reports is a director in the corporation. These direct reports are, however, not members of the Board.
• The Executive Director, People and Corporate Services will be required to build a strong management team. This team will constitute the Executive Management Committee for People and Corporate Services which will implement corporate strategies appertaining to the four areas of accountabilities already highlighted. The corporation’s activities are spread throughout the length and breadth of Mozambique.
• The Executive Director, People and Corporate Services is the chair of the Executive Management Committee for People and Corporate Services. The Executive Director, People and Corporate Services reports to the Chief Executive Officer. Other Executive Directors on the Board are Executive Director for Operations, Executive Director for Planning and Business Development, and Executive Director for Finance.
• As a member of the Board, the Executive Director also wears a second distinct even if related hat. The Board sets broad corporate policies, ensures effective planning, and supports the building up of the organization’s capacity to effectively carry out its work. The Board also provides for fiscal accountability and approves the budget. The Executive Director for People and Corporate Services acts in these stated capacities as a member of the Board.
• However, the Management team for People and Corporate Services i.e. the Executive Management Committee for this business complex will be responsible for all executive accountabilities required to manage the portfolio. The Executive Committee will be held accountable for planning, organizing, staffing, motivating, approving, and overseeing all related managerial functions within the portfolio. The Executive Director will ensure that these functions are undertaken at the level of the management team, and not at the Board.
For more information on EDM, please visit website: www.edm.co.mz.
The official language of Mozambique is Portuguese. This position therefore requires competence in writing and speaking in the Portuguese language.
The individual we are looking for:
• Would have a degree in economics, management, business administration preferably with an MBA or a postgraduate degree in a related field.
• Must have a minimum of 10 years’ relevant management experience. This will preferably be in a reputable Utilities corporation, or in similar organizations.
• Will have had demonstrable and tangible involvement in challenging environments. We will expect the successful candidate to have achieved clear and meaningful results in the course of his or her career. S/he will also be expected to have demonstrated the individual capacity to effectively manage people and resources on a relatively sizable scale in reputable commercial organizations.
• Should have worked on large programs in less developed economies and challenging environments.
• Must have good executive skills in managing a mixed group of people where driving performance is imperative. Equally, this person must be able to conduct high-level negotiations with internal and external senior partners, and lead change management.
• This position requires exposure to, as well as hands-on experience in supporting and leading organizational change. Ultimately, the Executive Director for People and Corporate Services will be expected to support the CEO, the Board, as well as the Senior Executive Management Team, in following through on the tough actions and steps, which will be required to accomplish the desired transformation.
• Experience in, and/or exposure to the challenges involved in transitions or change management in culturally sensitive environments will therefore constitute added advantage.
• He or she shall be familiar with the national labor laws and regulatory frameworks as well as acquainted with several human resource performance based international methods and practices.
If you would like to be a senior member of EDM’s transformation team, and you have the required personality and skills set which we are looking for the position of Executive Director for People and Corporate Services, please send your note of interest to the Director -(use the button)
Your submission should include an introductory letter of no more than 2 pages of motivation and interest attached to your detailed Curriculum Vitae. We expect to move fairly rapidly through the engagement process for this position. Therefore, please submit your note of interest before August 15, 2016.