executive director, operations - electricidade de moçambiqueInto Africa Recruitment
Our client, Electricity of Mozambique EDM was established on 27 August 1977 as a state owned national power utility responsible for generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity on behalf of the Government of Mozambique. EDM was also given the responsibility to plan, manage, and execute the necessary project activities as well as to own and operate generation, transmission and distribution assets. This is in order to ensure reliable supply of electricity with good quality while preserving the environment.
EDM is now transforming itself through a process of profound and radical change aimed at directing the organization towards an entirely new and higher level of efficiency and effectiveness. They are laying the foundation for meaningfully and deliberately striving towards their ultimate ambition, which is to make Mozambique an energy hub in Southern Africa, and to transform EDM into a national and regional reference. EDM aims to continuously provide uninterrupted electricity to citizens and residents of Mozambique individuals, communities, corporations, etc. and to achieve universal access to energy by 2030. This is already the norm in most developed countries of the world. There is therefore no reason why Mozambique should subscribe to any lower standards. Ultimately, the expected human development through inclusion and better standards of living, will be available across all parts of Mozambique.
We have been contracted to fill the position of Executive Director, Operations. The Executive Director for Operations will be a very senior member of the Board. The Board of EDM is largely executive. In effect, most members of the Board are also directly responsible for heading and managing key portfolios. The Executive Director for Operations provides leadership and direction in the core activities of Generation, Transmission, Distribution, and Retail Electricity Markets. Each of the areas of responsibilities referred to in this section i.e. Generation, Transmission, Distribution, and Retail Electricity constitute directorates, but other competences might be added as required. In effect, each core business unit four in all reporting directly to the Executive Director for Operations is headed by a director.
• The Executive Director, Operations will be required to build a strong management team. This team will constitute the Operations Executive Management group, which will implement approved strategic plans regarding all aspects of operations. EDM’s activities are spread throughout the length and breadth of Mozambique.
• The Executive Director for Operations chairs the Operations Executive Management Committee. S/he is also a member of the Corporate Executive Management team. The Executive Director of Operations reports to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. Other Executive Directors on the Board are, Executive Director for Planning and Business Development, Executive Director for Finance, Executive Director for People and Corporate Services.
• In addition to the accountabilities outlined, the Executive Director for Operations will be required to establish new systems, new processes, as well as new operations standards across all the directorates reporting to the position.
• The Management team in Operations i.e. the Operations Executive Management Committee will be responsible for all executive accountabilities required to manage the business complex. The Executive Committee will be held accountable for planning, organizing, staffing, motivating, approving, and overseeing all related managerial functions within the complex. The Executive Director for Operations will ensure that these functions are undertaken at the appropriate levels of the management team, and not at the Board.
For more information on EDM, please visit website: www.edm.co.mz.
The official language of Mozambique is Portuguese. This position therefore requires competence in writing and speaking in the Portuguese language.
• The individual we are looking for must be an electrical engineer or equivalent preferably with postgraduate qualifications.
• He or she must have a minimum of 12 years’ relevant management experience at a senior level. This will preferably be in a reputable Utilities corporation or power business.
• S/he will have had demonstrable and tangible involvement in challenging environments. We will expect the successful candidate to have achieved clear and meaningful results in the course of his or her career. S/he will also be expected to have demonstrated the individual capacity to effectively manage people and resources.
• He or she should have worked on large programs in less developed economies and challenging environments.
• He or she must have good executive skills in managing a mixed group of people where driving performance is imperative. Equally, this person must be able to liaise and conduct high-level negotiations with key executives.
• He or she shall be well experienced in systems operation for transmission, generation and distribution.
• He or she shall be well experienced and knowledgeable on static and dynamic devices on long radial transmission systems, control, protection and metering system, including power quality meters.
• This position is a very senior position and requires sound commercial and financial understanding of value chains and processes. The position also requires excellent knowledge of the procurement process.
• Experience in, and/or exposure to the challenges involved in transitions or change management in culturally sensitive environments, will be an added advantage.
If you would like to be a senior member of EDM’s transformation team, and you have the required personality and skills set which we are looking for the position of Executive Director, Operations, please send your note of interest to the Director -(use the button)
Your submission should include an introductory letter of no more than 2 pages of motivation and interest attached to your detailed Curriculum Vitae. We expect to move fairly rapidly through the engagement process for this position. Therefore, please submit your note of interest before August 15, 2016.