executive director, finance - electricidade de moçambiqueInto Africa Recruitment
Our client, Electricity of Mozambique EDM was established on 27 August 1977 as a state owned national power utility responsible for generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity on behalf of the Government of Mozambique. EDM was also given the responsibility to plan, manage, and execute the necessary project activities as well as to own and operate generation, transmission and distribution assets. This is in order to ensure reliable supply of electricity with good quality while preserving the environment.
EDM is now transforming itself through a process of profound and radical change aimed at directing the organization towards an entirely new and higher level of efficiency and effectiveness. They are laying the foundation for meaningfully and deliberately striving towards their ultimate ambition, which is to make Mozambique an energy hub in Southern Africa, and to transform EDM into a national and regional reference. EDM aims to continuously provide uninterrupted electricity to citizens and residents of Mozambique individuals, communities, corporations, etc. and to achieve universal access to energy by 2030. This is already the norm in most developed countries of the world. There is therefore no reason why Mozambique should subscribe to any lower standards. Ultimately, the expected human development through inclusion and better standards of living, will be available across all parts of Mozambique.
We have been contracted to fill the position of the Executive Director, Finance. Executive Directors are directly responsible for heading and managing key portfolios in the company. The Executive Director for Finance provides leadership and direction in the key activity areas of Financial Management and Control, Treasury, Budget and Financial Planning. These activity areas constitute directorates. In effect, this position has three direct reports. Each of these direct reports is a director in the corporation. These direct reports are however not members of the Board. The Executive Director is also expected to participate in general policy formulation and overall management of the Corporation, including areas not directly relating to finance.
• The Executive Director for Finance will be required to build a results-oriented management team with strong leadership. This team will constitute the Executive Management Committee which will implement approved strategic Finance initiatives across the corporation. The Executive Director for Finance is the chair of the Finance Executive Management Committee. S/he is also a member of the Corporate Executive Management team. All Executive Directors report to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. Other Executive Directors on the Board are Executive Director for Operations, Executive Director for Planning and Business Development, and Executive Director for People and Corporate Services.
• In addition to the generic and oversight accountabilities already outlined, the Executive Director for Finance will be required to review and overhaul existing financial systems and processes, and establish new ones where necessary. This would include producing EDM financial statements within timelines established by legislation. S/he will also establish new operations standards across all the directorates reporting to him or her. S/he will be the main liaison on finance related matters between the Corporation and third parties, including the Government of Mozambique, and national/foreign financial institutions.
• As a member of the Board, the Executive Director also wears another official even if related hat. The Board sets broad corporate policies, ensures effective planning, and supports the building up of the organization’s capacity to effectively carry out its work. The Board also provides for fiscal accountability and approves the budget. The Executive Director for Finance acts in these stated capacities as a member of the Board.
• However, the Management team for Finance i.e. the Executive Management Committee for Finance will be responsible for all executive accountabilities required to manage the Finance business complex. The Executive Committee will be held accountable for planning, organizing, staffing, motivating, approving, and overseeing all related managerial functions within the complex. The Executive Director will ensure that these functions are undertaken at the level of the management team, and not at the Board.
For more information on EDM, please visit website: www.edm.co.mz.
The official language of Mozambique is Portuguese. This position therefore requires competence in writing and speaking in the Portuguese language.
• The individual we are looking for would have a degree, preferably a postgraduate in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, or in any other related field.
• In addition, s/he would have other relevant professional qualifications and requisite experience at the senior management level with a minimum of 10-year experience. This will preferably be in a reputable Utilities corporation, or in related environments.
• S/he will have had demonstrable and tangible involvement in challenging environments. We will expect the successful candidate to have achieved clear and meaningful results in the course of his or her career. S/he will also be expected to have demonstrated the individual capacity to effectively manage people and resources on a relatively sizable scale, and in reputable commercial organizations.
• He or she must have worked on large programs preferably in less developed economies and challenging environments.
• He or she must have good executive skills in managing a mixed group of people where driving performance is imperative. Equally, this person must be able to liaise and conduct high-level negotiations with key executives and external donors and financiers.
• This position requires sound commercial and financial understanding of value chains and processes.
• He or she must have good knowledge of financial systems, processes and accounting standards both national and international, taxation and fiscal legislation.
• He or she must have good knowledge of investments, banking practices, financial analysis and valuation, financial engineering, corporate and project finance, structured and trade finance and financial risk management.
• Experience in, and/or exposure to the challenges involved in transitions or change management in culturally sensitive environments, will be an added advantage.
If you would like to be a senior member of EDM’s transformation team, and you have the required personality and skills set which we are looking for the in the position of Executive Director, Finance, please send your note of interest to the Director -(use the button)
Your submission should include an introductory letter of no more than 2 pages of motivation and interest attached to your detailed Curriculum Vitae. We expect to move fairly rapidly through the engagement process for this position. Therefore, please submit your note of interest before August 15, 2016.