The Civil Society Support Mechanism Foundation, abbreviated as Fundação MASC, is a private legal entity, non-profit with administrative, financial and patrimonial autonomy. It includes in its vision the work for a credible, sustainable civil society that contributes to the democratization of the state and public space, and that promotes social justice and the well-being of Mozambican citizens. The mission of the MASC Foundation is to strengthen and promote sustainable development of civil society in Mozambique, working for social justice through technical assistance, grants, social investment, resource mobilization and collection of donations. The MASC Foundation approach is holistic, inclusive and comprehensive, executed in an interactive and emphatic way with a view to achieving the following objectives: (1) Make CSOs more effective, accountable, inclusive and truly representative of their communities; (2) Active involvement of citizens and civil society with the Government; (3) Make Government and other service providers more accountable, competent and better able to provide services and fulfil their duties. Thus, the MASC Foundation and its partners organized an International Conference on August 2018 on “What Alternative for the Financing and Management of Public Resources in the Health Sector in Mozambique?” With a view to finding solutions to respond to the growing demand for quality public services in the priority sectors of the Mozambican Government’s (GOM) agenda, with special emphasis on health, in a context of scarce financial resources, since Mozambique has faced serious budgetary restrictions since 2015, devaluation of the metical and inflation due to the combination of factors resulting from an unfavorable internal and external environment, such as the decline in the price of some of the export products, the vulnerability of Mozambique’s economic structure, increased public debt service (especially in 2016 with the discovery of the “hidden” debts contracted with international creditors), the lack of transparency in the management of public accounts, which led to the suspension of the General Support to the Budget by the cooperation partners, causing negative impacts on the country’s economy.
As a result of this conference, the MASC Foundation and its partners proposed to:
• Develop / draft proposals for laws on the increase of taxes on the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, sugary or excessively salted drinks;
• Developing / drawing up proposals for laws in support of the cost of health by insurance companies, so that the revenues they receive will revert to the Health, Education and Safety/ Social Protection sectors;
• Introduction of health insurance for the low-income population; application of part of the resources collected in the Value Added Tax (VAT) for the social sectors (Health, Education and Social Protection); among others;
• Develop a proposal for a law to encourage mining companies in the scope of gas / oil royal- ties, etc. to pay a percentage of their profit to the social sectors (Health, Education and Social Welfare); among others;
• Conduct a reflection on revenue collection by Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs);
• Conduct a reflection on the municipal taxation system (taxes on bottles, street food sales, etc.) in Maputo, Matola and Beira and in general;
• Conduct a reflection on revenue collection through public-private partnerships (PPPs);
• Conduct a reflection and propose the revision in the Law of Patronage and in the Law of Social Action for the benefit of areas such as Health, Education and Social Action; among others.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
2.1 GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The aim of this consultancy is to develop innovative initiatives and an implementation plan that may influence the amendment of laws and / or suggest amendments in legislation to influence the increase of revenues and improve the financial management mechanisms in the social sectors (Health, Education and Security / Social Protection) and raise the welfare of the country’s most deprived population.
2.2 SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
• Review legislation and propose amendments in taxable areas that revert in favor of social areas (Health, Education and Social Action);
• Facilitate debates on proposed amendments.
The consultancy should focus on the collection and analysis of relevant legislation in order to identify areas of weakness in the scope of revenue growth for social areas (Health, Education and Social Action). The documentary survey on countries with characteristics similar to Mozambique that are already applying legislation in thematic areas to be proposed by the present consultancy is essential. In addition, the consultancy should also include consultations with different social actors (e.g. CSOs, NGOs, community, among others), non-social ones (for example Government, donors, among others), private sector, for joint reflection among the different stakeholders.
4. ASSIGNMENT PERIOD
The timeline of the assignment is 40 days from 23rd September to 01st November 2019.
5. WORK PLAN
Based on the proposed assignment schedule period in the Terms of Reference, consultants should prepare a work plan for the study and include it in their proposal and report on the approach to be followed within the study, considering the following elements:
I. Methodology to be used at work;
II. List of persons / organizations to consult;
III. Technical meetings for decision making;
IV. Literature, legislation and documentation to consult.
6. EVALUATION CRITERIA FOR TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL PROPOSALS
The call is open to consulting firms, individual consultants or a team of consultants. For the evaluation of technical and financial proposals, the following criteria will be considered:
1. Experiences in the analysis of Mozambican and / or foreign legislation. For this requirement the following has to be considered; the consistency between cause and effect of the described actions, relevance and impact of the presented results and the consistency of the measurement of the presented results;
2. Experiences in the development / elaboration of proposals and / or amendments in Mozambican and / or foreign legislation. The relevant points in point (I). must be considered;
3. Experiences in facilitating public debates. The relevant points in point (I). must be considered;
4. Operational capacity, regarding the methodological work approach, the adequacy of the team available, the profile and the qualification of the professionals.
5. Value of the financial proposal.
The selected candidate will be asked to submit a detailed technical proposal including:
I. Schedule of activities;
II. Resources and support required from Fundação MASC. The proposal is subject to approval by the management of the entity before the start of the consultancy.
8. CONSULTANT QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
The consultant (s) should have at least a degree in Law or related areas; At least 10 years of experience in analyzing legislation and proposed amendments; Proven experience in developing / drafting legislation proposals; Proven experience in organizing and facilitating public debates and round tables.
• Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of Masc Foundation
• Demonstrates experience of working with national experts
• Proven ability to deliver quality output working under tight deadlines
• Ability to communicate effectively and to facilitate discussions at the senior level with government officials and the development community
• Self-motivated and ability to work with minimum supervision
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and team-oriented work style
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity adaptability
Fluent in spoken and written Portuguese and English.
11. SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
Please send your technical and financial proposals (including CVs)(use the button), 2019. Please note: Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be considered.